Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Domoded

We left two hours later yesterday
thanks to some spectacular lightening
and thunder
so I missed the flight to Yerevan
and arrived to the airport in Moscow
having all that I expected
occur to me
there was one woman at the transit check-in desk
she has no computer
there is a phone,
a land line phone
after awhile more women
appear
and they hover behind her
and then they start saying
"United" "united"
looking for the united airlines phone number
one of them starts to pull out
paper being kept in plastic
paper covers
there are numbers on the page but no United number
after about 3 minutes
some one finds out the number
and gives it to the woman
with that burgundy pink hair color
that is so popular here
in this world
they all wear so much make up
that I stare, in my world,
nobody wears makeup
I have forgotten what it looks like
I look around while the women
do the telephone paper
dance
and I see passengers arriving
again high heels abound
things we just don't see in
Washington
I even saw a mini-skirt that
just covered the lower line of her butt
back to the desk of women
I start to wonder about my baggage claim ticket
and the only piece of paper that says I actually
have a flight
I gave them both to the desk of scantily
spread papers
I see one of the women pull out the phone number page
from its plastic cover
and write down the United Airlines phone number
for future notice of course
my shock is somewhat dulled
by my exhaustion and low expectations
but I am still surprised that
this is the first time they need the
number
given it is the transit check-in desk
then I am given the news
that we, the women, me, have to wait for the United people
to board the plane back to Washington
before they can come here to help
us
and thats a shame bc the next flight to yerevan just took off
and later, when I decide to ask,
I find out
the next flight is at 1 AM
its about 1:30 PM in Moscow now

No comments: