Sunday, August 15, 2010

Grados de Calor

the sun is like a computer battery
that needs to be unplugged
the difference between the shade
and shine
is muchos muchos grados
de calor
the sound is
zi zi ziziziziz
secadas singing up and down
in some hilly melody
the crickets do their
brief and prolonged
zhip zhip zhiiiip
I walked the old field
where we used to run
mosquito feasting
on brown skin
salty body water
sliding out of pores
onto a cotton shirt
enveloped between grass
and trees
couldn't just drive by
or sit on the car
had to swim in the growth
like the quenching ripples of water
it pulled me in
a mermaid of the trees
the grass sweat
smelled of our days
of running
every afternoon
in the bowels
of this raw green
I longed for nothing
felt no nostalgia
there was no memory
I desired
no,
it was that it had all
passed
and was inside of me
I reveled in it
with each
heat delayed stride

No comments: