Thursday, June 12, 2008

Hafez Ghazal



I am reading lines 1-4 and lines 11-14 of the above ghazal at my sister's wedding. Below is my translation of those lines...
The days and nights of separation from the beloved are over
I made my wish, my lucky star answered, and the matter is done
All of the dalliance and vanity offered by autumn
Was ended by the coming of the spring breeze
I still can not believe that in the perfidy of our times
The tales of sadness have ceased in the presence of my beloved
Saghi (wine bearer) you are gracious, may your jug always be full of wine
Your prudence has ended my withdrawl
......................................................................................
It was explained to me that the wine bearer, ever present in Hafez ghazals, indicates that in order to love, to fall in love, to be in love, one must shut off the mind, because the mind is incapable of understanding love in its fullness, in the same way that it is incapable of understanding the universe. To love is to turn off the mind, or to calm it, to intoxicate it so that the love can be felt... Linear thought, analytical calculation furthers one from love.
This poem says that the times of heartache are over because love has come and thanks to the Saghi for intoxicating us to be able to experience it.
Something like that...




No comments: