Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Mount Ararat

It was time to leave the odyssey.Walking through corridor leading to the plane I looked outside and there it was. Unbelievable, it stood there humongous, gargantuan but somehow hidden if you weren't looking for it, if you were looking down somehow distracted by your own mountains to climb or towards the next activity, the plane.

I just stood there. It was something you couldn't avoid. Even if you had seen them before, climbed them before, no matter how many you had seen before, this was remarkable. This always happens when I think I have seen it all.

I boarded the plane and lost the view. Then I forgot about it and focused on the smelly guy sitting next to me. As the plane started its way down the runway, it made a ninety degree turn and suddenly I had the view of a lifetime. I decided not to take a picture but just to watch. It was something words or a photo would fail to capture. As we increased our speed it stayed with us, or at least with me, and as we rose it only became more impressive.

You see, it floated. It was a floating mountain, Mount Ararat floated that day. You couldn't see the base, all you saw was a string, a line of clouds cutting the sky in two pieces and then a mountain top so huge and so perfect grew from that line of clouds. And as we rose it stayed floating, the bottom never revealed, no base to see, it was like god, or mother earth with her hair draped around her looking at us.

No comments: