Thursday, June 14, 2012

A Year After


I walked past her on the sidewalk
While the 2am birds sang their hellos
She was white
a pink light lined her body
Her smile was a wave in the ocean growing in intensity as she came closer to you
Your hands, hers and yours, untwisted under the metal lamp
on the corner of Corcoran and New Hampshire
U would be back

She and I converged this morning
When the sun rose
A blue light in the window
And you weren't there
But he was
Unfamiliar new routine
I wanted ours back
It wasn’t on the shelf
Our way our wake
A memory leeching onto the present
I paused the film of our morning
And returned back to him
He faced me
Distracting me
U never did
There's no show
Here
He doesn't sing and dance

Now she is gone
And it's just me

All that remains
Is this
 a siphon lodged
 Inside my breast
It empties me
You are the ocean I want to embrace and bring home

She tried
Ambition betrayed
She could only swim for so long
Before your tide changed

I stand before the water
Both of you gone
I do not go in
I stay
Watch from the shore

No comments: