Thursday, September 25, 2008

Ugly

the cineplex of five small theatres
with small chairs
that swung back and forth
because the screws are a bit loose
closed
a few months ago
at the beginning of the summer
the HR associate 
told us smiling
"a CVS is coming downstairs"
I almost puked
a CVS? to replace
the rooms
where I spent my most intimate
nights in Washington?
where I sat for an hour after 
Habla Con Ella
just crying 
where I walked out of another film
too cheesy to handle?
a CVS will move into that venerable
place in my heart?
Consumer Value Stores now rebranded
as consumer, value, service
I walked passed the building
the door ajar
a construction worker standing there
and I saw their 
re-creation
renovation
the candy case
and popcorn counter
gone
pasty
glue white walls replaced
dark brown walls
walls that held you in
made you feel 
that you were entering the cave
of fantasy
hiding from the world
about to have an adventure
away from the open skies
of outside
but now it was an open
open space
of fluorescent lights
and cheap dry wall
the store front windows
previously hanging the latest
innovations in film
would soon be filled
with over-priced discount toothpaste
and cheap christmas
decorations

today I saw back inside the
movie theatre
and gazing back at me was
a vacuous white hole
soon to be filled
with damaging
preservatives
plastics
and hurried
customers

No comments: