Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Hillary

I love Hillary. I hate everything around her, and the bad decisions that were made by her including the meaningless yet dramatic use of the word obliterate, her stupid advisors, and her inability to demonstrate her genuine care. The last one I attribute more to years of being in Washington as a woman and not any conscious decision on her part.

I think that she was advised by people that were powerful in the nineties, that had little freshness to offer in terms of language, approach, and meaning. From the outside, they seemed arrogant with their finely tuned campaign machine.

But I love her because in her I saw an extremely capable person, who felt it was her responsibility to know every issue like it was her child’s illness, who could switch between talking about sovereign wealth funds, healthcare, mortgages and educational policy with ease. She raised the bar in terms the amount of information required and the articulate manner in which it was delivered in the debates. She didn’t treat her audience like we are a bunch of morons looking to feel good.

I love her because her presidential nomination campaign forced the newspapers to write (a few) articles about how the playing field is not so level, how women are still discriminated against, that their so-called options are just more societal duties, that the media is still biased against women.

I love her because she changed what it takes to be competent, it doesn’t mean you are just a fancy talker, it means you work and you work hard to be president.

I love her because every time a double standard occurred, it was documented in the press, whether the press knew it or not. It would be great to go through and see how many pro-Hillary articles the NYT wrote and how many anti.

I love her because she is ready to fight ideological Republicans because she knows that one cannot negotiate with dogma, one must defeat dogma with reason.

I love her because she was a great example of how overqualified women are as leaders.

No comments: