Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Ayasofya

We walked in
Distracted

Mom was on the phone
we left her outside

my sister and me
walked in
still walking the streets of Istanbul

Then I realized
Where I was

The church
Turned into a mosque

a miracle
type of place

It was like I was riding a bus or a train
And only looking at the person next to me
Or reading a book
Never actually looking outside
to know
the ride

when I finally did
I was silent

The cusp between
the absurdity
of human ignorance
And the elevation
of divine inspiration

Portraits of Mary
And calligraphy of Ali

Stained glass Christianity
And the minarets of Islam

How easily they could be

Melted into one

How simply they were the same

The building was defined by light
And circular space
Its design
As inclusive as its
moody indoctrination

No comments: